Thursday, November 11, 2010

A day of remembrance

A crisp cool morning looking out my front door...  It is Veterans Day and I put our flag out in remembrance of all those who have given the most for the freedom that I love and respect every day.  My brother-in-law and his dear friend Danny are some of those who we honor today. I know that my brother-in-law suffered much in the Vietnam War as a very young man of 18.  You would never know of this as he is very sweet and humble man. However, I respect him so much for the wonderful husband he is to my sister and uncle he is to my daughters. I am thankful for all those men and women who sacrificed for us and to my brother-in-law my love and honor everyday!

 

This is the Memorial to the Vietnam Veterans in the state capitol park in California. Here is a link with a description of the memorial.
http://www.cdva.ca.gov/Memorials/VVMMemorial.aspx 

It is very powerful tribute. The memorial is located next to a large rose garden so often there is a soft scent drifting in the afternoon that seems like an added honor to those names on the walls. I feel fortunate that I work downtown near the park, so I have been to this memorial many times. And since there are benches close by it is a nice spot to meet friends and enjoy lunch. No matter how often I may be there, I still feel that little tinge of honor for those who gave so much!

2 comments:

Darla said...

I think it is great that you have your flag out and I enjoyed seeing the memorial. I really appreciate the posts I find in blogland honoring our vets.

Darla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish I'd been here sooner to see this lovely tribute to the veterans. Great post, lovely photos, and a real treat to see another place I'll probably never visit. Your flag is gorgeous against the backdrop of those stunning autumn colored trees!