Saturday, January 29, 2011

Inspiration_Avenue_Broken_Pieces

When this week's Challenge at Inspiration Avenue was announced, I had a piece I knew I wanted to do. I have had a long busy week so I tried to finish it today and I hope I make the post time at IA.

The California coastline has some very beautiful places. One beach is very unique, Glass Beach in Fort Bragg. This beach has a very interesting story. In the mid 1900's, they used it as a public dump! Yep, they dumped trash, car parts, and a whole lot of glass jars and bottles. Fast forward over 60 years later, waves and salt water crashing over and over on these items. The ocean has created a shore of tiny glass pieces that are beautiful. Broken pieces that have rolled and turned so they are not sharp and edgy but soft and beautiful.

In my life, I have had some broken moments. And just like the glass pieces, I can be edgy and sharp. But over time I have had waves of not salt water but love wash over me. I am thankful for time to help soften my edges. As in nature, I believe that life has a purpose and given time will provide beauty you may never have guessed.

I started this piece with a picture taken of the beach shore. I collaged torn, punched circles, and strips of paper. For the bottom edge, I added broken pieces of seashells. Then on the corner of the picture I added a few piece of the broken glass I collected from the shore. I added my label and date.

7 comments:

Maggie said...

Beautiful, and I love the story of the beach. Comparing the waves softening the glass to love softening people is inspired!

Carola Bartz said...

Oh, I know Glass Beach in Fort Bragg. You captured it in such a beautiful way!

Shelinwa said...

Love this I never new about that beach. Never been to cali though either. I bet it is neat, i am a beach comber on the WA coast though.

Darla said...

Your piece makes me want to take a road trip fo Fort Bragg. Love shards that have been in the ocean.

Darla

Kim Collister Studio said...

The story with this post brings so much life to your picture. I absolutely love the beach. Just goes to show you that time can be a healer of all things and even the beach can make lemonade out of lemons!

Priti Lisa said...

You've taught me something, Amanda. Imagine using a beach as a public dump!
I love the way you compared yourself to the broken objects...and the way nature turns trash to treasures. It is a beautiful piece of artwork.
xox

Kat W said...

Fabulous collage full of wonderful textures & colours. And a really lovely worded blog post!

I didn't get chance to participate in this inspired theme. I got a chance of a mini break (see my blog for photos/details) that was much needed so I ran out of time. But its great to see others submissions.

Kat X